Letters -- John Keats
《信箋》--約翰·濟慈
My dearest lady,
我最親愛的女士:
I am now at a very pleasant cottage window, looking onto a beautiful hilly country, with a view of the sea.
我正愜意地臨窗而坐,眺望遠山如黛,碧海連天。
The morning is very fine.
晨光和煦。
I do not know how elastic my spirit might be, what pleasure I might have in living here if the remembrance of you did not weigh so upon me.
我之所以能調適心情,享受此間生活,全因有你的甜蜜回憶相伴。
Ask yourself, my love, whether you are not very cruel to have so entrammelled me, so destroyed my freedom.
你近乎殘忍,讓我無可自拔,將自由拱手相讓。
For myself, I know not how to express my devotion to so fair a form.
曼妙如你,我欲訴衷腸卻一時語塞。
I want a brighter word than bright, a fairer word than fair.
再璀璨爛漫的字句都不足以形容。
I almost wish we were butterflies and lived but three summer days.
期翼你我化蝶生命,僅有三個夏日。
Three such days with you I could fill with more delight than 50 common years could ever contain.
有你相伴,三日的歡愉也勝過50年寂寥歲月。
When you can confess this in a letter, you must write immediately and do all you can to console me in it,
在信里向我傾訴即刻動筆,全力撫慰我滿篇的情愫,
make it rich as a draft of poppies to intoxicate me, write the softest words and kiss them.
像罌粟般迷醉我心,親吻你最溫柔的字句。
That I may at least touch my lips where yours have been.
至少我也能感受你唇間的余溫。
My dear Mr. Keats, thank you for your letter.
親愛的濟慈先生:感謝來信。
Lately, I have felt so nervous and ill that I had to stay five days in bed.
之前我心緒不寧,抱恙臥床五日。
Have received your letter, I am up again, walking our paths on the heath.
收到你的信,我又能起身,漫步我們的荒野。
I've begun a butterfly farm in my bedroom in honor of us.
為了紀念,我的臥室成了蝴蝶的家園。
Sammy and Toots are catching them for me.
弟弟和妹妹都幫忙捕捉。
Samuel has made a science of it and is collecting both caterpillars and chrysalises so we may have them fluttering about us a week or more.
塞繆爾頗有研究還收集了毛蟲和蝶蛹一周光景,它們便能化身為蝶。
I have two luxurious to brood over in my walks, your loveliness and the hour of my death.
散步時,兩件事占據我的思緒,你動人的容顏和我死期。
O that O could have possession of them both in the same minute.
同時得到兩者,我亦死而無憾。
I never knew before what such a love as you have made me feel was. I did not believe in it.
我以前從不知曉,被你愛是何滋味。不曾相信如此愛戀。
But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, it will not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with pleasures.
有你全心愛我,縱有噬人火焰,也并非無法忍受,因為有歡樂的浸潤。