“哦,不賣,”凱瑟琳回答。
It was a present to me.
它是別人送我的禮物。
"I suppose it was given you by a boy you met at Lake Hopatcong last summer, and itreminds you of him," murmured Stuart, dreamily.
“我猜那是你去年春天在Hopatcong湖遇到的一個男孩給你買的,看到它你就會想起他的,”斯圖亞特胡猜著。
"Yes, it was," said Katharine, blushing.
“是的,就是他買的,”凱瑟琳說著,臉紅了。
"Ah," said Stuart, "summers are wonderful, aren't they, Katharine?"
“啊哈,”斯圖亞特說,“夏天多美妙,是不是呀,凱瑟琳?”
Yes, and last summer was the most wonderful summer I have ever had in all my life.
是的,去年夏天是我生命里有過的最美好的夏天。
"I can imagine," replied Stuart.
“我能想象,”斯圖亞特回答。
You're sure you wouldn't want to sell that little pillow?
你真的不想賣這個小香袋?
Katharine shook her head.
凱瑟琳搖了搖頭。
"Don't know as I blame you," replied Stuart, quietly.
“我并沒有怪你,”斯圖亞特很快地回答。
Summertime is important. It's like a shaft of sunlight.
夏天是很重要,就象黃昏結束前的最后一束陽光一樣。
"Or a note in music," said Elizabeth Acheson.
“或者一首樂曲的旋律。”伊麗莎白.加德納說。
"Or the way the back of a baby's neck smells if its mother keeps it tidy," said Marilyn Roberts.
“或者一個孩子脖子后面的汗味兒,如果他媽媽想讓他干凈的話。”瑪里琳.羅伯特說。
Stuart sighed.
斯圖亞特嘆息了一聲。
"Never forget your summertimes, my dears," he said.
“永遠也不要忘記你的夏天,我親愛的,”他說。
"Well, I've got to begetting along.
好了,到我該走的時候了。
It's been a pleasure to know you all. Class is dismissed!
很高興認識你們大家。下課!
Stuart strode rapidly to the door, climbed into the car, and with a final wave of the hand drove off in a northerly direction,
斯圖亞特大步走向門口,爬進車里。斯圖亞特對他們擺了擺手,道了再見,然后就駕駛著車一直朝北開去。
while the children raced alongside and screamed "Good-by, good-by, good-by!"
孩子們都跑出來對他高喊著:“再—見,再—見,再—見!”
They all wished they could have a substitute every day, instead of Miss Gunderson.
孩子們全都希望以后每天都能來一個代替岡德森小姐的老師。