托德:川邊,你能解釋一下什么是彈珠機嗎?外國人都不清楚彈珠機是什么。
Kawabe: OK. Explain pachinko.
川邊:好,解釋一下彈珠機。
Todd: Yeah, because when we get off the train and go home we often we often walk past pachinko parlours, or in the morning even.
托德:對,因為我們下了列車以后回家的路上經常會路過彈珠店,甚至早上也會看到。
Kawabe: It's everywhere.
川邊:到處都是。
Todd: And there's a big line of people waiting to get in, so we don't understand it, like, why do people like pachinko?
托德:有很多人排隊等著進入店中,所以我們不太理解,為什么人們這么喜歡彈珠機?
Kawabe: OK, pachinko is, 1) it's a gamble, you know, you pay a lot of money to play that and if you win you can get a lot of money back, and 2) it's a, there's no 2. It's only 1). It's the gamble. That's it.
川邊:好,彈珠機,首先第一點,這是賭博,你要投入很多錢來玩彈珠機,如果你贏了,你會贏回一大筆錢,第二,其實并沒有第二點,只有第一點。這是賭博,就是這樣。
Todd: Well, how do you win money? Like, you just, you take the ball and you put it in the slot and it trickles down?
托德:那要怎么贏錢呢?你只是把珠子放入投珠口,然后珠子就滾下去了?
Kawabe: Yeah, um, there is a slot you put your money, bill, into it, and OK, let's say I go into the pachinko shop and I pick out one of the seats and then, "OK, I'll play with this." And I, you know, take out my wallet and pick up a thousand yen and put the bill into the slot and then the machine gives you a certain amount of the, you know, silver balls, and you play with it. What you do is just, roll, or touch the...
川邊:對,有一個投幣口,你放入鈔票,這么說吧,我會走進彈珠店,然后找個位子坐下來,“好,我要玩這個。”之后我會拿出我的錢包,從里面取出1000日元放入投幣口,然后機器會給出一定量的銀色彈珠,這時你就可以開始玩了。你要做的就是滾動,轉那個……
Todd: Dial!
托德:轉盤!
Kawabe: Yeah, dial
川邊:對,轉盤!
Todd: Dial!
托德:轉盤!
Kawabe: And move like 5 centimeters.
川邊:然后移動5厘米。
Todd: Uh-huh!
托德:啊哈!
Kawabe: That's it!
川邊:就是這樣!
Todd: What happens?
托德:會發(fā)生什么?
Kawabe: And the silver balls go up to the top and you know it comes down to the holes and sometimes it, you know, the balls get into the really nice hole and then I don't know how they work, exactly but anyway, if you got a good hole, you got the money. That's it! So, it's a really, that's too simple to enjoy. That is why you never see people smiling in front of pachinko. You know every one is making a grimace in front of the pachinko machine. Have you ever seen people smiling?
川邊:之后銀色彈珠會到達頂部,然后落到小洞里,有時彈珠會進入不錯的小洞,不過我不清楚到底是怎么運作的,如果你的彈珠進入好的洞里,那你就會贏錢。就是這樣!這太簡單了,反而不能好好享受。這就是你不會看到人們笑著玩彈珠機的原因。你知道,所有人在彈珠機前的表情都很痛苦。你見過有人是面帶笑容的嗎?
Todd: No, I've never been in a pachinko parlour. I just walk by.
托德:不,我從來沒進過彈珠店。我只是路過。
Kawabe: You know they just sit in the machine and staring at one place and spend like 20, 30 minutes and when you're money's gone it's the time to you know, stand up.
川邊:你知道,他們只是坐在機器前,盯著一個地方,然后會玩上20甚至30分鐘,之后錢都花光以后就是起來離開的時候了。
Todd: Have you ever played?
托德:你玩過嗎?
Kawabe: Many times. Why not? Many times.
川邊:玩過很多次。為什么不呢?我玩過很多次。
Todd: That's cool! Well, thanks, Kawabe!
托德:那真酷!謝謝你,川邊!