小王子爬上一座高山。
The only mountains he had ever known were the three volcanoes, which came up to his knees.
過去他所見過的山就是那三座只有他膝蓋那么高的火山,
And he used the extinct volcano as a footstool.
并且他把那座熄滅了的火山就當作凳子。
"From a mountain as high as this one,"he said to himself, "I shall be able to see the whole planet at one glance, and all the people... "
小王子自言自語地說道:“從這么高的山上,我一眼可以看到整個星球,以及所有的人。”
But he saw nothing, save peaks of rock that were sharpened like needles.
可是,他所看到的只是一些非常鋒利的懸崖峭壁。
"Good morning," he said courteously.
“你好。”小王子試探地問道。
"Good morning–Good morning–Good morning," answered the echo.
“你好…你好…你好…”回音在回答道。
"Who are you?" said the little prince.
“你們是什么人?”小王子問。
"Who are you–Who are you–Who are you?" answered the echo.
“你們是什么人…你們是什么人…你們是什么人…”回音又回答道。
"Be my friends. I am all alone," he said.
“請你們做我的朋友吧,我很孤獨。”他說。
"I am all alone–all alone–all alone," answered the echo.
“我很孤獨…我很孤獨…我很孤獨…”回音又回答著。
"What a queer planet!" he thought.
小王子想道,這顆行星真奇怪!
It is altogether dry, and altogether pointed, and altogether harsh and forbidding.
它上面全是干巴巴的,而且又尖利又咸澀,
And the people have no imagination. They repeat whatever one says to them...On my planet I had a flower;
人們一點想象力都沒有。他們只是重復別人對他們說的話…在我的家鄉(xiāng),我有一朵花。
she always was the first to speak.
她總是自己先說話。