21 第一課
The son of a merchant had agreed to join the familybusiness, and on his very first day at the factory, hisfather took him to the balcony and said:"Now myson, I'm about to give you your first lesson inbusiness. Stand on the edge of the balcony!"
一個商人的兒子決定進入父親的家庭企業(yè)工作。他去工廠上班的頭一天,父親把他帶到陽臺上說:“聽著,兒子,我要給你上生意場上的第一堂課。站在陽臺邊上。”
"On the edge, dad?" said the puzzled youth.
“爸爸,站在邊上?”年輕人納悶地問。
"On the very edge!"
“站在最邊上。”
"Very well dad." the boy obeyed.
“那好吧,爸爸。”兒子照做了。
"Now, when I say 'jump!'." said his father, "I want you to jump."
“好,當我說‘跳’時,”父親說,“你就得跳下去。”
"But it's 20-foot drop! Besides, no cushion there."
“可是,爸爸,這可是20多英尺高呢!下面連個墊子都沒有!”
"My boy," said the father, "you want to learn the business, don't you?"
“兒子,”父親說,“你要學做買賣,不是嗎?”
"Yes, dad."
“是的,爸爸。”
"And you trust me?"
“那你相信我嗎?”
"Yes, dad."
“是的,爸爸。”
"Right! Show your courage then do as I say! Jump!"
“那好,拿出你的勇氣來。按我說的做——跳!”
The boy didn't bate anymore and he jumped. Only to crash painfully to the ground 20 feetbelow. One of his thighbone was broken. His father ran down the stairs to where the youth waslying.
小伙子不再爭辯,跳了下去,結果渾身摔得生痛,一條大腿骨折了。父親趕忙從樓上跑下去,來到兒子摔倒的地方。
"Now, my son!" said the father, "You have just learned your first lesson in business: NEVER-TRUST-ANYBODY!"
“聽著,兒子,”父親說,“你剛學到了做買賣的第一課,那就是——永遠也別相信任何人!”