"We play from the time we wake till the day ends. “我們與黃金色的曙光游戲,我們與銀白色的月亮游戲。”
We play with the golden dawn, we play with the silver moon. 我問道:“但是,我怎么能夠上你那里去呢?”
I ask, "But, how am I to get up to you?" They answer, "Come to the edge of the earth, lift up your hands to the sky, and you will be taken up into the clouds." 他們答道:“你到地球的邊上來,舉手向天,就可以被接到云端里來了。”
"My mother is waiting for me at home," I say. "How can I leave her and come?" “我媽媽在家里等我呢,”我說,“我怎么能離開她而來呢?”
Then they smile and float away. 于是他們微笑著浮游而去。
But I know a nicer game than that, mother. 但是我知道一件比這個更好的游戲,媽媽。
I shall be the cloud and you the moon. 我做云,你做月亮。
I shall cover you with both my hands, and our house-top will be the blue sky. 我用兩只手遮蓋你,我們的屋頂就是青碧的天空。
The folk who live in the waves call out to me-- 住在波浪上的人對我喚道—— “我們從早晨唱歌到晚上;我們前進又前進地旅行,也不知我們所經(jīng)過的是什么地方。”
"We sing from morning till night; on and on we travel and know not where we pass." 我問道:“但是,我怎么能加入你們隊伍里去呢?”
I ask, "But, how am I to join you?" They tell me, "Come to the edge of the shore and stand with your eyes tight shut, and you will be carried out upon the waves." 他們告訴我說:“來到岸旁,站在那里,緊閉你的兩眼,你就被帶到波浪上來了。”
I say, "My mother always wants me at home in the evening--how can I leave her and go?" 我說:“傍晚的時候,我媽媽常要我在家里——我怎么能離開她而去呢!”
Then they smile, dance and pass by. 于是他們微笑著,跳舞著奔流過去。
But I know a better game than that. 但是我知道一件比這個更好的游戲。
I will be the waves and you will be a strange shore. 我是波浪,你是陌生的岸。
I shall roll on and on and on, and break upon your lap with laughter. 我奔流而進,進,進,笑哈哈地撞碎在你的膝上。
And no one in the world will know where we both are. 世界上就沒有一個人會知道我們倆在什么地方。