一對愛爾蘭情侶坐在公園里的長椅上。他們手牽著手,但是那個女的一直緊張地擺弄她的雙手。
Mary: “Patrick. I have something to tell you.”
瑪麗:“帕特瑞克,我有些事想告訴你。”
Patrick: “Well,what’s on your mind? You know you can tell me everything.”
帕特瑞克:“好的,你在想什么?有什么事你盡管可以跟我說。”
Mary: “It’ s so terrible.”
瑪麗:“這件事簡直太難講出口了。”
Patrick: “You know you can trust me. What is it?”
帕克瑞克:“請你相信我,到底是什么事?”
Mary: “Well, it was a few years ago. Father lost his job, and no money in sight…”
瑪麗:“那是好幾年前的事了。我爸爸失業(yè)了,當時沒有錢。”
Patrick: “So, what is it?”
帕特瑞克:“那然后呢?”
Mary: “Oh. We were so desperate. For some time I had to turn… prostitute!”
瑪麗:“哦,當時我們簡直是絕望之極。所以有時候我不得不去做妓女!”
Patrick: “WHAT!”
帕特瑞克:“你說什么?”
Mary: “We needed the money so bad!”
瑪麗:“我們太需要錢了。”
Patrick: “There is no good reason for this! Endangering your very soul! How could you? YOU! Mary, this is more than I can stand!”
帕特瑞克:“不要找借口開脫了。出賣你的靈魂,你怎么能這么做呢? 你! 瑪麗,這我實在是接受不了。”
Mary: “Not you, Pat! No! I thought you'd understand. I thought your could still love me, even though I had been a whore.”
瑪麗:“不,帕特請不要這樣,我覺得你能理解我。我相信你依然愛我,哪怕我曾經出賣過自己的身體。”
Patrick:“Oh! … You … Well, that's ok. For a moment I thought you said protestant’!”
帕特瑞克:“哦,你等會兒,那沒關系。剛才我還以為你是說你是當了新教徒呢。”