The Poison Tree
一棵毒樹
I was angry with my friend:
我對我的朋友生氣,
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
我說出來,憤怒就平息。
I was angry with my foe:
我對我的仇人氣惱!
I told it not, my wrath did grow.
我并沒說,憤怒卻不斷增長了。
And I watered it in fears
我懷著恐懼給它澆水,
Night and morning with my tears,
早早晚晚灑下我的眼淚:
And I sunned it with smiles
我用微笑當太陽使它溫暖,
And with soft deceitful wiles.
捎帶上我溫柔而虛假的欺騙。
And it grew both day and night,
于是它白天黑夜長得不錯,
Till it bore an apple bright,
直到它結(jié)成了一只漂亮的蘋果
And my foe beheld it shine,
我的仇人看見它鮮艷光澤,
And he knew that it was mine,—
他也知道那屬于我。
And into my garden stole
便悄悄進了我的花園里,
When the night had veiled the pole;
當夜幕將天空遮蔽;
In the morning, glad, I see
第二天清早我高興地看到,
My foe outstretched beneath the tree.
我的仇人直挺挺地躺在樹下了。