He invented imaginary dialogues between the unfortunate inventor, say of the wheel, and his particular friend, some eminent cold-water pourer.
他還撰寫與那位背運的輪船設計師之間虛擬對話。他談到車輪,談到他那位超凡脫俗的設計師朋友,談到某位著名的潑冷水者。
For, as he said, every man has some such friend, who fascinates him by fear,
誠如斯言,確實,我們每人周圍都有類似朋友,他們因恐懼而對這些發(fā)明達人萌生迷戀,
and to whom he confides his enterprises in order to hear the worst that can be said of them.
而這些達人之所以樂意傾露心事,敘說自己花樣翻新的冒險,不過只是關注可能反饋回來的批評或指責。
The sayings of the chilling friend, probably, as he observed, ran thus:
如他的觀察所見,朋友間心寒齒冷的話語或許如此,沒有那個滾動的家伙,
We seem to have gone on very well for thousands of years without this rolling thing.
幾千年呼啦啦過去了,我們不也過得很好嘛!一路神氣十足地走來?
Your father carried burdens on his back. The king is content to be borne on men’s shoulders.
你老爸肩馱背扛,國王坐在轎夫肩膀上自得其樂,
The high priest is not too proud to do the same.
那些大神甫祭司們也并非過于自傲,不能手提肩扛。
Indeed, I question whether it is not irreligious to attempt to shift from men’s shoulders their natural burdens.
確實如此,而我想質疑的是,從人類肩膀上試圖移走他們的物質重負,唯道居然違反宗教教義不成?
Then, as to its succeeding,—for my part, I see no chance of that.
那么,對于這種承繼,就我來說,我看不到任何改變機會。
How can it go up hill? How often you have failed before in other fanciful things of the same nature!
那車輪莫非能爬山?面對類似稀奇古怪想法,你屢屢受挫究竟多少回!
Besides, you are losing your time; and the yams about your hut are only half planted.
況且,還要浪費大量時間,茅屋邊番薯地還有很多農活沒做,沒準廝混下去,
You will be a beggar; and it is my duty, as a friend, to tell you so plainly.
你或許還會淪為乞丐。作為朋友,我當然有責任直截了當?shù)靥嵝涯恪?/p>
There was Nang-chung: what became of him?
歷史上有過納春野人,他們的后裔進化如何?