Herbert: Do you like computers?
赫伯特: 你喜歡電腦嗎?
Rose: I have one, but I don't know much about them.
柔絲: 我有一臺電腦,但對電腦不太在行。
Herbert: I see. What about baseball?
赫伯特: 喔,這樣。那棒球呢?
Rose: No. 1) I'm not into sports.
柔絲: 不喜歡。我不太熱衷運動。
Herbert: So... are you seeing someone?
赫伯特: 那……你有在跟人交往嗎?
Rose: Well, that's a 2) personal question.
柔絲: 嗯,那是私人的問題。
Herbert: Sorry. I didn't mean to be 3) nosy. It's just that...
赫伯特: 對不起,我并不想探人隱私。只是……
語言詳解
A: Why don't you two hang out anymore?
你們倆怎么沒再去約會了?
B: It's too awkward to be alone with her.
跟她獨處太尷尬了。
【That's a personal question. 那是私人的問題】
有些人明明跟你不熟,卻喜歡問東問西,連不該問的感情、薪資、體重、三圍、家庭狀況、對某人的好惡、政治傾向……都想探聽。下次當你遇到這種不識相的人,而他又問了你不愿回答的問題時,就可以回他這一句。
A: How much do you weigh?
你的體重是多少?
B: That's kind of a personal question.
這是私人問題。
【I didn't mean to be... 我并非故意……】
當你說了或做了某件事,而別人因為誤會而被傷害,就可以說這句話,使用時機和前面的I don't mean anything bad.相同。
A: It's a good thing you're not a singer or you'd make no money!
好在你不是歌星,不然你一定賺不到錢。
B: What?
什么?
A: I didn't mean to be rude. I was just kidding.
我并不是故意那么沒禮貌。我只是開玩笑。
1) I'm not into...我不熱衷于……
2) personal (a.) 私人的
3) nosy (a.) 愛追問的,愛管閑事的